Thursday, February 3, 2011

Heaven and Hell

They say we are sinners in love
That we’ll never be granted the pleasures of firdaus
O’ how the naivety of these people stuns me!

When I have already felt the wrath of hell and the splendor of heaven
I’ve already seen the abysmal depth of hell
And tasted the mordant flames of its fire
And my soul has already absorbed the beatitude of heaven
When I relish with you in the gardens of glory
Where I sing to you, and you sing to me
And I carve on your being, florid verses of love
Where we enjoy moments of forbidden pleasure
Denied to us outside the infinite walls of our heaven
Where we unveil to each other our secrets in the night
And they condemn us to the hellfire reserved for their spite
Tell them I will desert the heavens of the next life
If I can have you here with me for one eternal moment
Let me fall in hell if it will bring me to you
For I have already felt the vernal bliss of your love
And heaven is but the verity of your essence
I have felt, too, the stygian absence of your love
And hell is but the vacuous lack of your presence
O’ what use is piety
When I might in heaven be bereft of my beloved!
With a shattered heart ablaze, nurturing the treacherous fires of hell!
They say we can’t be
But you’ve been mine since the birth of eternity
And will remain mine till its impossible death.

- Me, Jan. 12th 2011

14 comments:

  1. hey i was missing a new post on your blog.
    here you are back with one and my oh my how?
    such beautiful lines! marhaba!

    see, i am learning and using a lot of words i learn in this space! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.
    Thanks, SEPO Jaan! How kind of you to say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Zuhura and Hina darlings! LOL, Hina!
    I WISH I could write anything like that genius! As crazy as I am about him and his poetry, I can't figure out how he managed to think the way he did! I wish talent could pass from reverence towards someone :p Sumra kha ba wa, kana...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why, thank you, Becky Jaan! How kind of you to say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! you're quite the poet. this could literally be in a compilation somewhere. beautiful love poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, Steph :) What a sweet thought! Thank you for your comment, jaan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww it has so much from the sufi poetry I have come to love :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I posted it on my FB account I hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, Sultana!
    No problem at all - just make sure to give the link to the poem in there :p Then all's well ;)

    Thanks for sharing it with others!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, someone rightly mentioned in the posts this poem has ghani's touch. esp luv these lines

    "Where we enjoy moments of forbidden pleasure
    Denied to us outside the infinite walls of our heaven
    Where we unveil to each other our secrets in the night
    And they condemn us to the hellfire reserved for their spite
    Tell them I will desert the heavens of the next life
    If I can have you here with me for one eternal moment"

    My friend Rahim mentioned ur blog to me and i am loving it, it really makes me happy when i see someone esp females from our part of the world doing things like u. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much, Shero! That's very kind of you to say, wrora!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite poem ever! You should publish this =)

    ReplyDelete

Dare to opine :)

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...